Dogsandkittens

Home for Dogs,Kittens And Friends

Friday 6 September 2019

Poem: Joint Portrait

My new dog looks goofy,
and is smart.
I can do that.
And I do.

He can look well-groomed
and a mess.
Just like me.

People mistake him for a girl he’s so
pearly, pretty, fluffy. People take me
for a girl too, although before my nose job
The New York Times declared me
“handsome.”

Dancer’s hair—wiry, crazy, curly,
is like mine when I was little
and my mother could barely comb it,
ripping out the knots,
my tears a wall down my face.

As for Dancer’s tangled curls, thick
with foxtails, burrs and twigs,
I cut them out with scissors.
Painless. Progress.

Some days, my own hair, unruly, fluffy,
carries with it, down even to the roots,
my Mother’s dark opinion that it, and I,
aren’t pretty. And not good enough.

Tags: 


from The Bark https://ift.tt/2ZOAQYc

No comments:

Post a Comment

dog species

What to Watch for as Hochul and Top Rivals Meet in N.Y. Governor Debate

What to Watch for as Hochul and Top Rivals Meet in N.Y. Governor Debate : By BY GRACE ASHFORD from NYT New York https://ift.tt/Lp4NlVH fr...