Dogsandkittens

Home for Dogs,Kittens And Friends

Saturday 27 November 2021

World Rugby’s new rules will lift smaller nations and should benefit whole game | Ugo Monye

World Rugby’s new rules will lift smaller nations and should benefit whole game | Ugo Monye:

New eligibility rules are not without risk but they offer players new pathways and reflect the reality of multiple identities

When World Rugby announced that eligibility laws would be changing this week I found myself joking that I’m actually available to play for Nigeria now. Joking because it’s just a little bit too late in the day for me – I’m not sure I’d be selected! – but it got me thinking whether there is something I can do to help grow and develop the sport in a country I have huge affection for, the place where it all started for me.

I hope I’m not the only one because the change opens up so many possibilities for current players but also for people to help in other ways. I hope this rule really instigates a positive mindset in people. The world is a smaller place – more and more players and ex-players will have roots or heritage in more than one country – and it is something to be celebrated. Since rugby went professional there has not been much diversity in the teams at the top end of the world game but hopefully this is the start of something that can change that.

Continue reading…

from The Guardian https://ift.tt/3oYakKs
from Tumblr https://ift.tt/3rtzu6L

No comments:

Post a Comment

dog species

What to Watch for as Hochul and Top Rivals Meet in N.Y. Governor Debate

What to Watch for as Hochul and Top Rivals Meet in N.Y. Governor Debate : By BY GRACE ASHFORD from NYT New York https://ift.tt/Lp4NlVH fr...