Dogsandkittens

Home for Dogs,Kittens And Friends

Wednesday 24 November 2021

The world finally has a malaria vaccine. Now it must invest in it | Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala

The world finally has a malaria vaccine. Now it must invest in it | Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala:

As an economist I know it makes financial as well as ethical sense to get this world-first vaccine to the millions who need it

I vividly remember the day I learned a harsh lesson in the tragic burden of malaria that too many of us from the African continent have endured. I was 15, living amid the chaos of Nigeria’s Biafran war, when my three-year-old sister fell sick. Her body burning with fever, I tied her on my back and carried her to a medical clinic, a six-mile trek from my home.

We arrived at the clinic to find a huge crowd trying to break through locked doors. I knew my sister’s condition could not wait. I dropped to the ground and crawled between legs, my sister propped listlessly on my back, until I reached an open window and climbed through. By the time I was inside, my sister was barely moving. The doctor worked rapidly, injecting antimalarial drugs and infusing her with fluids to rehydrate her body. In a few hours, she started to revive. If we had waited any longer, my sister might not have survived.

Continue reading…

from The Guardian https://ift.tt/3xgm1jk
from Tumblr https://ift.tt/3xiZiTO

No comments:

Post a Comment

dog species

What to Watch for as Hochul and Top Rivals Meet in N.Y. Governor Debate

What to Watch for as Hochul and Top Rivals Meet in N.Y. Governor Debate : By BY GRACE ASHFORD from NYT New York https://ift.tt/Lp4NlVH fr...