Dogsandkittens

Home for Dogs,Kittens And Friends

Monday 25 October 2021

Life after loneliness: ‘I felt desolate, invisible, panicky – then I gave up my PhD and got my life back’

Life after loneliness: ‘I felt desolate, invisible, panicky – then I gave up my PhD and got my life back’:

I felt the world had begun to look through me, as if I was made of air. When I decided to give up my plan for the future I immediately felt released

I was 22 and set on a certain path. A postgraduate student, I was doing a master’s at a gender centre, and writing a dissertation about a group of French feminist philosophers. It felt like exciting, important work. Prof Mary Evans – an inspiring gender studies scholar – was overseeing the course and she encouraged me to apply for a PhD. My future, it seemed, was set in stone.

Then I started to feel panicky at the library, where I was spending long hours on my own. I felt both claustrophobic and agoraphobic at once, which made no sense – so I just pushed those feelings away. Then they started to creep up on me in other public places. I remember being in a cafe with a friend and becoming choked by the noise around me. I rushed out into the street, sucking at the air – only to feel panicked about being alone.

Continue reading…

from The Guardian https://ift.tt/3b85N1y
from Tumblr https://ift.tt/3nqvS1x

No comments:

Post a Comment

dog species

What to Watch for as Hochul and Top Rivals Meet in N.Y. Governor Debate

What to Watch for as Hochul and Top Rivals Meet in N.Y. Governor Debate : By BY GRACE ASHFORD from NYT New York https://ift.tt/Lp4NlVH fr...