Dogsandkittens

Home for Dogs,Kittens And Friends

Monday 4 October 2021

Emma Beddington tries … the Cyr wheel: ‘I’m about as supple as an ironing board’

Emma Beddington tries … the Cyr wheel: ‘I’m about as supple as an ironing board’:

I have always dreamed of joining the circus and thought this could be the skill for me. Do I have the guts and grace to start spinning around?

I love the circus. The first time I took my infant sons – their chubby faces bathed in multicoloured lights, tiny minds blown – we emerged to find a freak snowstorm had transformed the car park into a hushed, white wonderland, as if the circus had VIP access to the weather. At another circus in a Yorkshire field, a tame fox sat on a shetland pony as it ambled around, occasionally stopping to graze on the straw bales demarcating the ring, and two women of a certain age in flesh-coloured catsuits, gyrated slowly. They were both amazing. I devoured Josser, Nell Gifford’s account of running away to join the circus, and dream of doing the same; a life of sawdust and greasepaint, not spreadsheets and Google docs.

But the circus doesn’t need a writer, so what could I do? I’m as supple as an ironing board and recently managed to put my back out chopping apples, so acrobatics and feats of strength are out. I can’t be a clown either because I’m not funny, as readers often remind me.

Continue reading…

from The Guardian https://ift.tt/3oJIqn9
from Tumblr https://ift.tt/2WDofLM

No comments:

Post a Comment

dog species

What to Watch for as Hochul and Top Rivals Meet in N.Y. Governor Debate

What to Watch for as Hochul and Top Rivals Meet in N.Y. Governor Debate : By BY GRACE ASHFORD from NYT New York https://ift.tt/Lp4NlVH fr...